This is a quick recipe for black bean burgers that comes together super fast. I like to double this recipe and have bean cake leftovers for topping salads or rice bowls. Enjoy this spicy burger between a gluten-free bun (I like Udi’s brand), or use lettuce leaves for a light version and top with goodies like spicy mustard, tomatoes, onion and avocado.
Makes 4-5 patties
- 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup quick oats, ground in a food processor
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced pepper (red, yellow, orange or green)
- 1 tbsp. spicy dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. salsa verde
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. Montreal steak spice
- pinch cayenne (optional)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1-2 tbsp. oil for cooking
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl using a potato masher or fork to mash some of the beans until well combined. It’s okay if some of the beans are left whole. Place mixture in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes.
- Heat about half the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. While it’s heating form the bean mixture into patties using your hands. When I’m making these for the kids I like to make mini burgers, or nuggets – perfect for little hands!
- Cook the burgers about 5 minutes each side until browned and crispy, adding a little more oil if needed.